Friday, January 28, 2011

52 Fridays- Double Feature!

Like I said in a previous post, I made a diaper cake for my friend, Jamie. I thought it turned out super cute.
What you need:

  • a base (a 14" cake platter was used)
  • a center pole (a paper towel center is good)
  • 60 diapers  (more if you want to make it bigger but use the formula 1x + 2x + 3x = # of diapers used... 1 is the top tier, 2 is the middle and 3 is the base... so for this cake I did 1(10) + 2(10) + 3(10)= 60 diapers
  • large rubber bands
  • ribbon
  • hot glue
  • baby goodies
Starting with the base and center pole, hot glue the pole to center of the base and set aside to dry.

Once the glue is dry, you can start with the bottom tier of diapers.Take a few diapers and lay them flat on the table but in a domino/overlapping effect. (Shown below) Make a few sets of the overlapping diapers and set them aside so you can easily grab them. 
All 3 tiers wrapped around the center pole
Take a set of overlapped diapers and wrap them around the center pole. Grab another set of overlapped diapers and continue wrapping around the center until you have a completed circle. As you continue to add diapers, I figured out if you wrap a rubber band around the diapers as you go, the diapers stay in place nicely. Some instructions have you add the rubber band last.

For the middle and top tiers, use the same instructions as above but with 20 diapers (middle tier) and 10 diapers (top tier). 

Once the diapers are nicely spaced around the center pole, you can start to add ribbon. Add the ribbon around the middle of each tier to replace the rubber bands and to keep the diapers in shape. You can hot glue the ribbon ends together but be sure the glue does not come into contact with the diapers.

When you are satisfied with your ribbon placement, you can add your baby goodies. You can use teether, stuffed toys or anything you can think of for the mom-to-be!
Finished product 


Close up of the top tier
Now onto my second project for this week! (Yes, I said second b/c I can't show the other ones I have done yet!) I've been wanting something to decorate the space above our headboard in our room. Since all the vinyl scenes I've liked have been too expensive, I am going to make something. I used the following picture as inspiration along with our duvet.

Our duvet
Picture frame at Target

Canvas with leaves sketched onto it
11x17" canvas with leaves
The leaves will be painted with creme colored paint and the background will be the same green we have on the wall surrounding our window. There will be 2 side by side. I'll post a picture once they're dry and hung up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!