Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Long Nights

I always told myself once Auggie started sleeping through the night, I wouldn't complain about sleep. Oh man, do I want to complain and be lazy all day because I'm tired! But I'll just leave it at that.

Auggie has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming and jumping up and down in his bed. We have no idea why he started this. We know he's tired because if we pick him up, he'll lay his head on our shoulder and then fall asleep. But as soon as his back hits the crib mattress, he's wide awake and screaming again.

Last night (er, early this morning), he slept in our bed with us. I laid him down so I could get in bed with him and Tim. Auggie was pretty much asleep by the time I got settled. And then I heard him snoring for an hour. His snoring wouldn't be so bad but it penetrates my dreams! He also likes to roll into me while he's sleeping so I gradually move further and further over. Before I realize it, I'm at the edge of the bed. I ended up putting him back in his bed around 4:15 and he slept until 9.

Other than the lack of sleeping well, we had a nice weekend. Saturday, I drove to the west side of Houston for a childhood friend's wedding shower. It was nice seeing Robyn and her family. We spent most of the afternoon there and headed back that evening. My mom also met us at the shower.

Mom, me and Auggie at Robyn's wedding shower
While we were there, Auggie signed a new sign. "Horse"! He was holding a little toy horse as he did the motion for the sign. It wasn't perfect but it was a new sign! During his appointment with Melinda this morning, he also signed "car".

Signs (as of January 31)

  1. Milk
  2. All Done
  3. More
  4. Dog
  5. Bird
  6. Rabbit
  7. Outside (hold out your hand and act like you're twisting a door knob)
  8. Airplane
  9. Train
  10. Cat
  11. Ball
  12. Baby
  13. Eat
  14. Cracker
  15. Cookie
  16. Bye-Bye
  17. Monkey
  18. Duck
  19. Horse
  20. Car
  21. Shoes
  22. Fish
  23. Book


I feel like I'm missing a few signs but 23 is quite a bit for a 14.5 month old! I also feel like I blog about signing so much but Auggie is really catching on to it. I'd recommend it for anyone because it is fascinating to see Auggie think about it, watch our hands and then do the sign for himself. Plus, it a great way to communicate once their older but not speaking clearly. He has always been very interested in our mouths and hands. I'm happy to see that interest in them paying off! I'm still trying to get a few videos on here to show him signing- I just need to sit down and do them.

I don't think I've written about this before (sorry if I have) but a few weeks ago we found out there is going to be a picnic in Webster this summer for people with Microtia (a congenital deformity where the external ear is underdeveloped ). Webster is about 20 minutes (if that) from where I grew up. There are several families in the area that will be going. I am really excited about going and meeting other families and kids who have microtia. There is also a CCA Kids retreat in Tempe, Arizona the same weekend. I'd love to go to one of their retreats, too, but since it's that far away, we'll probably wait for a closer one to save on money.We'll definitely look into going once Auggie is a little older.


Well, I'll leave you with some pictures and a video or two!


Auggie fell off the bed Monday morning. :(
He did a front flip right after this picture

Chilling out under the ironing board/shelf in his room

Sitting next to Daddy before bed time

Picking at his diaper

Daddy Surfing is the coolest thing!

A book before bed





Until Thursday!
  

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome that he is doing so many signs! I don't know how well Colin would do signing, he just now started waving and we've been working on that forever! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!